The TxOLAN Alpaca Association is a regional affiliate of the national Alpaca Owners Association (AOA).
TxOLAN is comprised of alpaca owners and other interested individuals from Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas and New Mexico.
STOP THE PRESSES!
GET YOUR FLEECE OUT OF YOUR SPARE BEDROOM, ATTIC OR BARN
To improve alpaca growers’ access to the commercial market for alpaca
fleece and reduce the costs associated with selling their clip, the
Alpaca Coalition of America is underwriting a national fleece collection
initiative modeled after similar collections in the American wool
industry. Growers have a choice of an immediate cash payment for their
ungraded fleece or receiving the market price for their graded fleece
upon subsequent sale to commercial purchasers.
All collection locations will accept properly packed, skirted huacaya
and suri blanket fleeces between June 1, 2015, and August 15, 2015.
- Southern: Tierra Prometida Alpaca Ranch, 4805 Farm to Market 32, Fischer TX 78623. Contact Rhonda Deschner 512-753-9962
SPETEMBER 19, 2015
Fleece Payment Options:
Growers will have the choice of two payment options for their fleeces:
Underwritten Cash Sale: Cash sales provide the grower
with quick payment for their ungraded fleeces, with ACOA assuming the
subsequent market risk and fleece quality risk. The grower’s fleeces are
weighed within 10 days of arrival at the collection location and a
check is subsequently sent to the farm in an amount equal to the total
fleece weight times the ungraded fleece price per pound. For 2015, the
ungraded fleece price per pound is $1.50.
An underwritten cash sale is advantageous for growers who:
- Would prefer to quickly return cash to their operations with no wait or incremental sales effort;
- Are supplying mostly coarser, higher-grade fleece for which there is little additional sales premium available.
Market Consignment Sale: A grower who provides fleeces
for consignment sale will have his/her farm’s fleeces individually
graded by trained professionals, and included in bales that will in turn
be sold to the highest market bidder. Based on previous results, we
believe payment will be received by early 2016. Please note that under
this option, 15% of the total sales price is retained to compensate
trained graders for their services as well as cover costs associated
with storage, handling, and the subsequent packaging and shipment of
A market consignment sale will be attractive to growers who:
- Have finer, lower-grade fleeces that command greater value;
- Are willing to wait for their proceeds from sale in order to
take advantage of the price premium available to larger fiber lots/bales
in the commercial marketplace;
- Are interested in supporting the development of a viable commercial market for alpaca fleece.
- Would like a summary grading report of their farm’s fleece production.
For administrative reasons, each farm submitting fleeces to the
collection must choose one payment plan for all the fleeces they submit.
Fleece Requirements for Sale:
In order to be accepted for sale via the ACOA National Fleece Collection
Initiative, growers must provided fleeces that meet the following
- Both huacaya and suri fleeces may be sold or consigned to the program.
- Only skirted blanket fiber shorn in 2014 or 2015 is accepted.
- Huacaya fleeces must come from previously shorn animals – no cria tips.
- Staple length must be between 2” and 5” for huacaya fleeces. There is no staple length requirement for suri fleeces.
- We ask that you not send fleeces with AFDs you estimate to be
higher than 30 microns. These fleeces command so little in the
commercial market that it is uneconomical to sell them through this
- Blankets must contain minimal vegetable matter, have been
properly shorn with care taken to avoid color contamination, and bagged
only when completely dry.
- Blankets must be individually bagged in clear, 33 gallon trash
bags of a weight between 0.75 and 1.0 mm. (These are readily available,
and quite possibly you are using them already.)
- The bags must be knotted and securely tagged with the farm
name. In addition, an index card with the farm name must be included
inside each bag (see photos below for examples of proper labelling.)
- There should be no holes in the bags – please be careful not to create them when compressing fiber for shipping.
- Each shipment should include one copy of the summary farm submission form, found here.
Shipping boxes or bags must be marked with the words “ACOA Fleece
Collection.” If the grower wishes to sell their fleeces in the
“Underwritten Cash Payment Program”, these words should also be written
on the shipping boxes or bags so that they are weighed promptly at the
There are no other requirements. We are just happy you are joining our
effort, and thank you for your patience as we work to find the best
price for your fiber.
See our Press Coverage of the
2015 TxOLAN Spectacular
*** There are several important news updates! Please read all the way down this page.***
- The 2015 TxOLAN Spectacular was held at the Will Rogers Memorial Center, the weekend of
February 13, 14, and 15, 2015.
THANK YOU TO OUR **SPECTACULAR** SPEAKERS!
ROO KLINE - MOONWOOD FARM
KARL HEINRICH - NEW ERA FIBER
IAN WATT - Breeding for the Future
"THE FUTURE OF YOUR FIBER"
This ground-breaking look at where our industry is headed was a tremendous SUCCESS
Check out our FACEBOOK pages with pictures from the show!
Take a look at your Autumn 2014 issue of ALPACAS MAGAZINE,
Be Sure to "Friend" TxOLAN Alpaca Association on Facebook!
We now move our attention to filling spots on our committees.
Please contact Gina Glasscock for more info. email@example.com
- Surveys are now complete. Keep an eye out for updates to members via email and Facebook.
- Make sure you renewed your membership and verified your contact information. Expires June1 annually.
- Renew your TxOLAN membership via the JOIN/CONTACT link.
- TxOLAN hosted an educational seminar January 18-19, 2014. Click HERE to see what the seminar attendees are saying about the experience.
The TxOLAN members populate this site with information about their farm,
alpacas, events, and wisdom to share with everyone else. Each member
farm has control of its own space on the TxOLAN site.